Old Man's Cave is the most popular of all the Hocking areas. Old Man's Cave is located on S.R. 664. The Grandma Gatewood Trail begins at the Upper Falls on its 6 mile course connecting 3 of the park’s areas: Old Man’s Cave to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave. This same trail has been designated as part of Ohio’s Buckeye Trail as well as part of two national systems—the North Country Scenic Trail and America’s Discovery Trail.
There is also a visitor center located here and lots of parking which can accommodate the hundreds of visitors a typical summer weekend can bring to the area.
Old Man’s Cave got its name from a hermit who lived in the large cave in the gorge. Richard Rowe and his family moved into the Ohio River Valley around 1796 from the Cumberland to establish a trading post. Richard would often take trips into the Ohio Territory along the Scioto River in search of game. On one side trip up Salt Creek, he found the Hocking Region. Rowe lived out his life in the area and is believed to be buried beneath the ledge of the main recess cave. Earlier residents of the cave were two brothers, Nathaniel and Pat Rayon, who came to the area in 1795. They built a permanent cabin 30' north of the cave entrance. Both brothers are buried in or near the cave.
At the top of Old Man's Cave is a Visitor Center that provides plenty of information, displays, has a gift shop and refreshments. For your first time visit, it makes a great place to start.