- Amish Country
Alliance is a city in Mahoning and Stark Counties in the U.S. state of Ohio. The population was 23,253 at the 2000 census. Alliance's nickname is "The Carnation City" and the city is home to Mount Union College. Alliance was formed in 1850 by the merger of three small settlements, Williamsport, Freedom, and Liberty. A fourth settlement, Mount Union, was added to the city in 1888. The name Alliance was chosen because of the "alliance" of the small settlements into a larger entity.
In 1886, local green thumb and politician Dr. Levi Lamborn propagated the flower from French seedlings, calling it “Lamborn Red.” Opposing William McKinley for the 18th Congressional District a year later, Lamborn presented the future president with a Lamborn Red boutonniere before each debate. As McKinley’s political star rose, he spoke of the scarlet carnation as a good-luck charm. When McKinley became president, he began wearing one at all times and presenting flowers from a bouquet on his desk to guests. On Sept. 14, 1901, moments after removing the flower from his lapel and giving it to young admirer at the Buffalo Exposition, McKinley was killed by an assassin’s bullet. After years of lobbying by Lamborn, the Ohio General Assembly passed a joint resolution naming the scarlet carnation the state flower on Feb. 3, 1904. On April 8, 1959, the Ohio Legislature recognized Alliance as the Carnation City.
Honoring Alliance as the Carnation City, the Greater Alliance Carnation Festival is a week of parades, food and fun throughout the city. An outdoor RibFest kicks off the annual festival. The 3 day RibFest begins the second Thursday in August and is outside the Carnation Mall. The festival is officially inaugurated Sunday with a kick-off parade from Park and Main Street to Glamorgan Castle. That evening, the Carnation Queen is crowned and her court is selected. Monday through Wednesday, there are numerous activities each day. Activities include sporting events for children, a teen dance, a bowling tournament for seniors, the Carnation Capers talent show and the Carnation Fashion Show. During the festival over 15,000 carnations are sold or given away during Carnation week.
First established in 1846 in the small town of Mount Union, the University of Mount Union is today one of Ohio's premiere small universities offering a liberal arts education based in the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Admission to the university has always been based on academic excellence and not on sex, race or societal standing.
The Mount Union Purple Raiders have a strong athletic tradition. Affiliated with the NCAA Division III and Ohio Athletic Conference, the University offers 21 intercollegiate athletic teams, but they are perhaps best known for their especially strong football team.
The Botanical Garden Association was formed in 1999 by a group of people from several surrounding counties with the concern & desire to create a facility where education of horticulture and the environment would be the primary focus. The Botanical Garden and Nature Preserve is located on a 164 acre site in Stark County's Washington Township, in the heart of northeastern Ohio. Located at: 11929 Beech St. NE ~ Alliance.
Built by Col. William Henry Morgan, Glamorgan Castle was named for his father's birthplace in Wales. William Morgan was the president and primary owner of the Morgan Engineering Company. Although he was known by everyone as Colonel Morgan, the title was strictly honorary. Morgan was appointed to the staff of Ohio's Governor George Nash and acquired the title of Colonel which stuck with him his entire life.
Construction on the castle-like home began in 1904. Having the appearance of a castle is no mistake. Architect Willard Hirsh went Europe to study castles and construction methods so Morgan's home would be on a grand European scale on the 50 acres of land surround the home.
Unlike the European castles, Glamorgan featured many modern comforts, including bowling alleys, a billiard room and a large swimming pool in the basement. In 1904, Col. Morgan visited the St. Louis Exposition and, after its closing, purchased a number of furnishings for his new home. Among those were 4 marble statues representing the 4 seasons, which originally stood on the front terrace.
Built at this location in 1867 by Matthew and Mary Earley. This Italianate style home is now owned by the Alliance Historical Society, but prior to this the home was owned by the founder of the historical organization, Mabel Hartzell. Mabel Hartzell was the adopted daughter of Matthew and Mary Earley. Through Mabel's efforts the home has been preserved as close as possible as it was when the Earley's first built it. The home is open on special occasions and through arrangements with the Alliance Historical Society.
The Alliance Historical Society was founded for the promotion of historical studies of the City of Alliance and its surrounding areas. Members of the Society collect, preserve, and organize historical materials and work with area schools and community organizations to present historical programs. The home of the Alliance Historical Society is the Mabel Hartzell House. It is open for tours during Carnation Week in August and at other times by appointment. Exhibits of historical materials are supplied by the Society for display at local businesses and public buildings. Members of the Society are also available for talks and slide shows at area clubs and meetings.